Someone recently asked me how many tea companies exist right now that have made a commitment to only sell pure tea. I didn’t have an answer, so I started searching, and with the help of my friends on Twitter and Reddit, I came up with the following list. The criteria for the list:
- the tea company must sell tea in loose or compressed form only, no tea bags or sachets
- all tea sold by the company must be unflavored, unscented, and free of inclusions with the following traditional exceptions being made:
- Black tea flavored / scented with bergamot
- White or green tea scented with jasmine
- Tea with spice inclusions (masala chai)
- Ginseng oolong
- Chinese blooming teas
- tea companies that meet the above criteria and also have a separate section for herbal tisanes are allowed on the list
- if a company meets all of the above criteria and has 2 or fewer scented teas on their website, they may be allowed on the list
This is an experiment, if a company does not meet the above criteria, it will not be listed.
Am I missing any? Feel free to let me know what company I am missing and why you think they belong on this list.